Can a woman can be considered a “holy” being while also considered a “sexual” being? What kinds of subtle messages do women internalize about their sexuality within the “church”? Even though my heritage is Mormonism, this issue is pervasive across most all religions (and our larger culture). This totally piggybacks my conversation last week with Mormon Sex Therapist, Natasha Helfer Parker. In THIS episode, Dr. Jennifer Finlayson-Fife shares what she’s seen in her practice as universal themes or struggles with women and sexuality within the Latter-day Saint community (Mormonism). Dr. Finlayson-Fife is a LDS relationship and sexuality coach as well as a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor in the state of Illinois. She has a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology. In addition to her dissertation research on LDS women’s sexuality and relationship to DESIRE, she has taught college level human sexuality courses.
Or, listen on your favorite app: iTunes (Apple Podcasts) | Spotify | Stitcher | Android| RadioPublic | Google Play
In this episode:
- How women become disempowered sexually in religious environments (culturally and doctrinally).
- How religions (knowingly and unknowingly) contribute to body shaming, limitations with self-expression, and identity confusion.
- As women of faith, why do we struggle with what is “proper” in this regard?
- How do you empower a woman to “own” her sexuality and her own body?
- How do we as women foster more DESIRE into our lifestyles and spiritual practices?
If you haven’t checked out my (Cherie’s) free healing mini-kit, go here: www.standspeakshine.com/healingkit
I recently launched two online courses: The Emotional Wholeness Master Class and The 22 Day Depression Cleanse which can be found HERE.
I am the author of two e-books, “Where Depression Ends and You Begin: 4 Passages to Discovery”; and “True and Lasting Change–4 Ways to Break Through Fear.”
My Stand Speak Shine programs provide women with retreats and mentoring programs to empower them to heal, express and create. www.standspeakshine.com
My book, If She Could Speak, will be released in 2021.